Table of Contents
- Good Video Editing Apps For Mac Free
- Video Editing Apps Mac Os
- Good Video Editing Apps On Macbook
- Free Video Editing Apps Mac
. The best video editing software for who wants to create professional tutorials or demonstrative content on Mac. Filmora Mac Video Editor. Filmora has gained quite a popularity with users, those who are looking for an easy-to-use video editing tool for Mac that doesn’t cost them hundreds of dollars and can get basic stuff done. Verdict: Openshot is an open source Mac video editing software. It may remind iMovie with its easy to use drag-and-drop interface. However, Openshot contains more features than iMovie, including an unlimited number of layers and sound mixing. This free video editor for Mac offers a good balance between advanced features and a simple interface.
- 1 Best video editing apps for Mac Advanced Pro users
- 2 Best Video Editing Apps for Mac Semi-Pro Users
- 3 Best Video Editing Software for Beginners (Mac OS)
- 4 Video Editing Software for Mac (Premium)
- 4.2 Adobe Premiere Pro
An immense number of best video editing apps for Mac OS are available online for free and even a few premium versions at budget-friendly prices or subscriptions. Here I am going to list out various best video editing apps for Mac OS for advanced users, semi-pros and beginners.
Today let’s see a brief description of a wide range of video editing apps, assisting you in learning how they work, compatible input-output formats and basic pros and cons.
I want to divide apps based on the user Mac professional expertise helping you to choose the best video editing apps for Mac OS.
Best video editing apps for Mac Advanced Pro users
First, let’s start with advanced video editing apps for pro users with high-end features and offering professional output videos. Here goes the list of professional video editing tools handy to all Mac users, regardless of budget.
Lightworks is a fantastic video editing app offering you both free and paid versions. The free version has limited options like video effects, multi-cam editing, titling and even multi-layered timeline technique fulfilling almost advanced video editing requirements.
Light work is the most professional video editor for Macbook providing quick and easy editing, like trimming a clip to interested size, adding real-time effects, including voice-overs and even correcting colors. Light work may look a bit complex editing app for beginners, who are new to high-end editors but this offers both simple and complex versions supporting a massive number of file formats and offering most top-quality options like 3D, Blue-ray, 4K, etc.
- Compatible with both Mac and Windows
- Supports MPEG-2, AVC, RED R3D, DPX, Apple Pro Resolution input formats, and MPEG4/H.264 output format
- The best editor in the world offering Proxy for 4K
- Lightweight packing
- A lot of advanced features like Multicam support for video editing
- Access to royalty-free video and audio content to add to your projects
- Limited library options in the free edition
- The free version is available only for seven days; if you want to continue further, you need to register.
- The free version offers output only up to 1080p on Vimeo and 720p on YouTube
One of the professional video editor for Mac Owners available for free installation. Davinci Resolve is the best video editing app for Mac OS, specially designed for correcting audio and video, editing and adjusting.
The Free version is as best as the paid version, with a set of pro tools for free and 3840 X 2160 UHD resolution. Few filters, lens blur, and lens flare are available for paid users without watermarking, whereas free users get them along with watermark.
Compatible with Input formats MP4, MOV, MTS, AVI, etc. and output formats QuickTime, AVI, R3D, MXF, DPX.
- Best video post-production solution
- Add high-quality grading or color correction to your video by installing the basic free version
- A studio version with extensive collaboration and workflow tools for paid users.
- Exclusive timeline curve function to edit a specific scene
- Top features like Advanced trimming, multi-cam editing, audio mastering for video editing
- Professional video output with 3D editing particle systems and advanced color grading
- The learning curve is not much steep
Not user-friendly single screen editing workflow.
Best Video Editing Apps for Mac Semi-Pro Users
Well known as KDE Non-Linear Video Editor, Kdenlive is an open-source video editing app for Mac OS supporting a vast range of video and audio formats. Smooth video editing experience is offered by Kdenlive, easy to export your edited videos to DVD device and exclusive tools to edit large videos without any problem.
Easy to use features and high flexibility helps even users with minimum video editing knowledge to edit their favorite videos.
- Support a wide range of formats AVI, QuickTime, Flash Video, MPEG and WMV
- Best open-source software
- Allows you to add files to software’s multitrack timeline
- Kdenlive is compatible with Linux too
- Supports many popular media formats
- Kdenlive allows editing different audio and video files at a time.
- Have some interface complexities, making it difficult to use.
- Not a friendly video editing app for green hands.
Excellent free video editing app for Mac OS with advanced features to make and edit professional videos. Useful animation tools and excellent animations features including rigging, shading, modelling, interface, texturing, UV unwrapping, water, and smoke simulations, etc. for both added users and beginners.
- Free 3D rendering program featuring best animation essentials list
- Professional 3D quality, features ideal for 3D graphic artists and designers are available for free
- Blender is versatile, performing many different tasks and is a lightweight video editing app
- Free 3D graphics application with lots of advanced features like animation tools and modelling tools.
- A bit difficult for beginners to manage this software
- Not everyone knows the usage of a massive array of features
Best Video Editing Software for Beginners (Mac OS)
Apple iMovie is an outstanding video editing app that is available with every new Mac OS for free. Quality video editing is now in the hands of every Mac owner and even to beginners. iMovie is highly compatible with all Apple devices like iPhone, iPod touch and iPad Mini too. Using Apple iMovie, you can import your videos, edit 4K video clips, add effects and audio of your choice.
iMovie supports extensive range Audio and video input/output formats offering broad compatibility.
- Video can be imported to Mac using FireWire interface or through USB
- Includes top features like an audio editing, movie trailer themes and one step effect
- Tons of sound effects, transitions, and title styles are available to create your great movies
- Mac owners can directly download it for free from your Mac App store
- Create amazing movie trailers like cinema style in few seconds.
- It includes basic color correction choices and the latest video enhancement tools too.
- Although rich in features, iMovie effect options are not much comprehensive
- Limited output controls
Avidemux is a popular video editing app for Mac OS for free to cut, Filter and encode your videos. Avidemux supports a variety of audio, video and image formats offering high compatibility with many formats. It is the best video editor for beginners, being simple and providing a user-friendly interface.
- Support different video formats like DVD, MPEG, AVI, etc. and audio formats such as WAV, AAC, MP3, and many others.
- It provides filters like a color correction to make beautiful videos and even allows for cutting ads from tv recording and saving your favorite video part.
- Beginners can easily install as its open-source and edit video files without any inconvenience
- A detailed tutorial provided for first-time users
- Avidemux allows you to perform quick edits and ideal for creating new videos and encode existing videos
- The exporting process takes longer time
- Limited features and editing tools
Amazing open-source video editor for MAC OS, which is easy to use for beginners. OpenShot provides advanced features like audio mixing, unlimited layers and editing tools such as scaling, snapping, clip resizing and rotation. Also, include great features like templates for titles, move background of your video recording and slow-motion effects.
- Easily create 3D animated titles, support unlimited tracks of different languages
- The excellent free version of Mac owners with easy gripping video editing techniques
- The open shot editor can show waveforms while editing your videos and you can also trim your videos easily and quickly
- The free version offers built-in animations and effects
- Powerful open source video editor
- High-end video editing features and easy interface
- Video tutorials are not available for beginners, so tricky to navigate
- Not compatible with many audio and video formats
- Have some bugs, so crashes often
Video Editing Software for Mac (Premium)
Few premium video editing apps are available for Mac OS at premium prices. These are advanced video editors with lots of advanced features and effects. Only a Mac Pro can handle and make use of every setting. You can learn guidelines online or youtube.
Filmora Video Editor
Filmora is an exclusive premium video editing app for Mac OS including plenty of options like tilting options, premium effects and studio controls. You can import clips from your Mac’s hard drive or social media accounts or even from your camera to Filmora video editor and experience easy video editing.
- Filmora is an all in one video editor with all video editing tools and video converter options.
- A premium feature like Lighting preset option is available to enhance the screen presence of Gam of Thrones, star wars, etc. with just a button click.
- Fully compatible with all latest Mac OS versions including 10.6 or later and support all audio, video and image formats.
Dedicated video editor offering best editing solutions
- Peculiar interface, not much user-friendly.
- It takes some time to get used when compared to other video editors.
Adobe Premiere Pro
Adobe Premiere Pro is a professional video editor option for Mac owners offering standard and professional setting options. Best editing option for designers and developers to perform lots of useful actions. Adobe Premiere Pro is inbuilt with Video organizations tools, timeline, and traditional nonlinear video editing settings.
- Full range of color correction tools, effects, audio editing options, etc.
- Great support for multiple audio, video formats and user required output options
- Specially designed for Mac, a part of Adobe Creative Suite
High compatibility with a wide range of audio and video formats
A massive package of features and options
- Offer render performance on high-end Mac devices
- High budget subscription cost
- Need technical experience to deal with professional features
I hope, you got the list of best video editing apps for Mac OS along with features, pros, and cons. Most of the video editing apps are free of cost, few are of subscriptions, and few are of paid. Choose the best video editor to improve your videos, edit and convert to your style.
Summary: We will discuss top 5 best video editing software for mac in this article, include each video editing software’s pros & cons, and audience for, go and get the trial version to decide which is the best one for you.
// Review of the Top 5 Best Video Editing Software for Mac
1. TechSmith Camtasia
2. Filmora Mac Video Editor
4. Apple Final Cut Pro X
5. Movavi Video Editor for Mac
Why You Need a Best Video Editing Software for Mac
This is the age of video consumption, where people don’t only love watching and sharing video content but also actively engage in the creation of videos. Thanks to powerful video editing tools and movie-making programs, anyone with a spark of creativity and the desire to learn can turn ordinary videos into exciting content.
In fact, popular YouTubers are great examples of people who started out with nothing other than a camera in hand and now have professionally created videos watched by millions of people. If you’re in a similar boat and hope to create outstanding video content, you’ll need to try your hands on some of the best video editing softwares.
Good Video Editing Apps For Mac Free
These programs offer a variety of options and features that you can use to turn ordinary videos into professionally edited content, however, since they all differ in terms of pricing, options, and functionality, you’ll need to choose which suits your needs the best. Some of the programs are great for beginners looking to step into the world of video editing while others are designed for professional users, requiring you to have a basic understanding of video editing methodologies while using them. YouTube is the best teacher so if you want to learn how to use any of the following software, simply browse through some good videos and you’re all set to kickstart your video editing journey.
Being a Mac user, you’re in for a good experience since creatives always vouch for Mac to be the best machine if you want to get good graphics work done. This review enlists the top best video editing software for Mac, so go ahead, download these and use them on trial versions to decide which is the best one for you.
Review of the Top 5 Best Video Editing Software for Mac
#1. TechSmith Camtasia
Educational, informative or instructional videos (such as tutorials, how-tos etc) need to be created using a professional screen recording and video editing software. One of the most powerful screen recording and video editing software is TechSmith Camtasia, a favorite of both Windows and Mac users alike.
Camtasia lets you record your screen, your audio as well as your headshot as needed to create effective online tutorials. This is the go-to software for most online tutors who want the combination of screen recording, audio recording along with cam recording.
What sets Camtasia apart from other Mac video editors and makes it the most preferred video editing program for online tutorials is its multiple editing features. The most useful is the annotations that you can use to mark or highlight important areas in the video. You can also use titles and multiple callout styles to create dialogues to create instructional content with the video. Moreover, you can make use of the transitions, zoom in/out and effects to give your video the professional touch it needs. Unlike other Mac video editing programs, Camtasia has all the necessary tools to help you create demonstrative video content.
Since Camtasia video editor caters to online educational content, it also gives you options to create quizzes, record and import presentations as well as pan animations to your recording screen. A powerful video editing program for Mac, Camtasia comes at a price tag of $249.00 which is a far heftier price tag than its other counterparts. The program does come with plenty of useful tutorials so if you’re planning to start an online course or tutorship, this is one of the best video editing tools to use on Mac, although it is not as professionally cut out for video editing as Premiere or Final Cut Pro X. Nevertheless, this Mac video editing software is aimed at professionals and newbies may need some time understanding and figuring out the program.
You can read the full review of Camtasia video editor, to learn detailed features of it, and how to make the professional tutorials or how-to videos with ease.
• Screen, cam and audio recording simultaneously. Good for live tutorials.
• A range of effects and feature set you can use to create professional content.
• Direct social sharing available.
• Some deeper features may require editing of the UI.
• Expensive price tag.
• The best video editing software for who wants to create professional tutorials or demonstrative content on Mac.
#2. Filmora Mac Video Editor
Filmora has gained quite a popularity with users, those who are looking for an easy-to-use video editing tool for Mac that doesn’t cost them hundreds of dollars and can get basic stuff done. Sporting a more of a DIY option, Filmora is designed for the casual user. With pre-defined musical tracks, great design themes and plenty of graphical tidbits to choose from, Filmora is a great video editor for Mac if you want something to get the job done. It also allows for easy screen recording, so if you’re hoping to record a cool video and get it edited without wasting too much time, Filmora is good.
There are multiple annual plans for you to choose from starting from $44.99 to $79.99 with the last one giving unlimited downloads to stock footages from the Filmstocks library. You can also try the program with all its features in the Trial option, but your final product will have a huge watermark over it. For beginners, Filmora gives the best of both world editing and aesthetically pleasant content. You may be interested in reading the review of Filmora video editor.
Learn how to edit videos with Filmora from this video:
• Plenty of themes and design options to choose from.
• Easy-to-use interface and requires no former training.
• Available at affordable price plans.
• Lifetime purchase available $59.99.
• Limited features for those seeking extensive options.
• Limited stock footages in the Filmstock library.
• Not recommended for highly professional work.
Video Editing Apps Mac Os
• Entrepreneurs, DIY users who want an easy-going video editing software on Mac.
iMovie is the video editing software comes along with all macOS devices. The program has a slick interface and is a great starting point for users who are absolutely new to video editing and are looking for free options before they invest in full-fledged video editing software. The iMovie can help you get basic editing done with pre-defined title designs, transition designs and backgrounds. You can add audio, maintain color balance, perform color correction, crop videos, and apply filters to videos using given options. You’re even given fourteen design themes to start from where you simply enter videos and titles letting the theme do its magic.
Being a free Mac video editor, the Apple iMovie has an impressive set of tools for media organization, color and speed optimization along with professional audio options for your video. Not to mention, it also has green-screen effects and supports 4K video although it still needs to provide support for 360-degree video. With a great interface, easy-to-use designs and theme options, the iMovie program is the best entry-level video editing software for Mac users. If you’re starting out and have absolutely no budget for investing in a professional video editing program, the iMovie is a perfect choice. The only setback to the iMovie is that you cannot record a screen and will need to use another screen recording program to record the screen and then import it into iMovie for editing.
Learn iMovie video editing tutorial for beginners:
• Highly efficient interface.
• Multiple editing options.
• Free for all Mac users.
• Plenty of audio and design tools.
• Has limited video track options.
• Needs additional flexibility.
• Animation options would have been great.
Good Video Editing Apps On Macbook
• Entry-level novices experimenting with video editing on Mac.
#4. Apple Final Cut Pro X
Apple’s very own professional Final Cut Pro X is a powerful video editing software designed for professionals, and boasts of premium features such as 360-degree video support, face analysis, multi-cam support and many others that make it a worthy purchase at $299. Along with the price, you may also have to invest some money in purchasing various plugins (that is if you’re at a professional level requiring more effects). According to many experts, Final Cut Pro X is to Apple as Adobe Premiere is to Windows which essentially means the program is designed for providing cutting edge video editing functionalities, turning your normal video shoots into professional content fit for online distribution. Some have even gone ahead to place the Final Cut Pro X above the Premiere in terms of its easy-to-use interface and sleek design.
Since it’s a full-fledged video editing tool, it might not come easy for novice users which is why it’s highly recommended that you look up some tutorials online and try out the trial version before making a full purchase. The Apple Final Cut Pro X has an exciting interface that lets you do some pretty amazing things with its multiple editing features. The latest version of the Final Cut Pro is the most appealing as it allows you to dabble in 360-degree VR content and provides support for HDR and HEVC video forms. Since the Final Cut Pro X is a product of Apple, you’ll find it quite similar to the iMovie functioning in the same manner with of course the only difference being one is for novice users while the other is for professionals. If you’re ready to take on video editing as a regular activity and want to truly master the process, Final Cut Pro X could be your best video editing software on Mac.
Final Cut Pro X full tutorial may do help for you:
• Support for 360-degree videos and VR Content.
• Dozens of features and options to choose from.
• Support for the latest Mac Touchbar.
• Lack of timeline tracking.
• Maybe a bit complicated for new users.
• An expensive price tag.
• Additional purchase for plugins.
• You will need to invest in learning about the program before using it.
• Professional editors who can make maximum use of the software’s features.
• Those who want to take up video editing as a professional skill.
#5. Movavi Video Editor for Mac
Video editors like Camtasia, Final Cut Pro X may be difficult to master for new users which is why it is often seen to be used by professionals who are able to dig into all the important features of the tools. For the average user though, an easy option like Filmora and Movavi are good enough. Similar to Filmora, Movavi Mac video editor has almost the same features with just one or two minor differences (such as Filmora’s lack of support for keyframe animation or lack of instructions within the program itself). Other than that, the price tag is the same with Movavi Video Editor Plus having a price tag of $59.95.
The plus side to the Movavi Video Editor Plus is you can captures video from TV tuners and VHS which is a great deal for people who want to digitize old video cassettes and TV programs.
Learn how to edit video on Mac with MOVAVI video editor
• Multiple effects and options to choose from.
• Support for older OS.
• Sound normalization.
• Allows for VHS capture.
• No social integration options.
• Not recommended for highly professional work.
• Casual users, bloggers, and beginners who want an easy video-editing option.
Video editing is an exciting field and one that thousands of aspiring YouTubers, bloggers, entrepreneurs, and artists are enthusiastic about. When choosing the best video editing application for Mac, it’s essential to understand what your goals are and what you expect out of the program. If you’re someone who’s just starting out and wants to dabble in video content at a rapid scale then options like Filmora or Movavi are great to use. They don’t require any pre-understanding or experience with video editing and can easily get the job done. With cool effects, music and footage library etc, you can get most of your task done.
On the other hand, if you want to take up video editing as a skill or a profession, then you must turn towards professional programs for video editing like Adobe Premiere or Final Cut Pro which are tools professionals use. To master these tools though, you will need to invest time in online tutorials and experiment with multiple options. You also need to have a strong system that can hold these programs especially since video editing consumes RAM heavily. You will also need to invest money in buying these programs and they don’t come cheap which is why it’s advised that you need to be very clear on what you want and then spend your money accordingly.
To know which program suits you best, download the trial version, play around and see what features you want the most for your particular project. The trial version may have limited options and may even have watermarks at the end product, so it might be useless if you want to use it for a rare/one-time project. In that case, the iMovie makes the best choice! To record your screen for free, you can use other programs like Loom which you can download and then edit in iMovie.
Free Video Editing Apps Mac
Remember to always identify your needs, check and compare the video editing programs through trial versions before you make a purchase. You can also invest some time in reading user experience, reviews and suggestions by experts to see which Mac video editing software meets your expectations and goals.