Standard Mac keyboard with 12 function keys As you know, function keys are uses for many shortcuts in Excel. For example, you can use F1 for help, F7 for spelling, and shift + F3 to insert a function. But if you try these shortcuts directly on a Mac, they don't work. Keys for other layouts might not correspond exactly to the keys on a US keyboard. Many of the shortcuts that use the Ctrl key on a Windows keyboard also work with the Control key in Office 2016 for Mac. However, not all do. Note: If a shortcut requires pressing two or more keys at the same time, this topic separates the keys with a plus sign (+). Move active cell clockwise in selection. Move active cell down in selection. Move active cell up in selection.
Division sign ÷ is one of the basic mathematical symbol. However, default keyboard layout does not have a division key. You can use the keyboard shortcuts to type division sign in documents. Note that division sign is also referred as obelus sign in typography. In addition, there is also a divide emoji that you can use similar to division sign.
Keyboard Shortcuts for Division Sign
Here is a summary of keyboard shortcuts for division sign.
Below is how the symbol will look like on all supported browsers.
Typing Division Sign in Windows
- On Windows computers, turn the NUMLOCK on. Now, hold one of the alt keys and type 0247 to make ÷ sign. If it does not work, enable number lock, press alt key and type 246 without leading zero.
- On Microsoft Word documents, you can type 00F7 and press alt + x keys together to make a division sign.
- You can also use math AutoCorrect settings in Word and PowerPoint to type division sign. Type div and press space, so that Word will automatically convert it into ÷ sign. This should be the default settings in all Microsoft applications. However, on Excel it works only inside an equation.
Typing Division Sign in Mac
- On Mac, press “Option + /” keys to type division sign ÷. This works with default ABC language input and on all applications like Pages, Numbers, Keynote including Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
- You can also switch the language input to Unicode Hex Input and type “Option + 00F7” to type ÷ sign.
Typing Division Sign in HTML & CSS
On web documents like HTML and CSS, you can use the escape entity values to type symbols. For example, use & # 247; in HTML without any spaces to produce ÷ sign.
Below is the CSS code example:
Other Division Symbols
In addition to standard division sign, Unicode has few other variations. It also includes a divide emoji that you can type with keyboard.
Using Divide Emoji
The heavy division symbol is actually a divide emoji that you can insert using emoji keyboard in Windows, Mac and smartphones.
- Press “Win + .” keys to open emoji panel in Windows 10. Search and insert divide emoji symbol.
- Use keyboard shortcuts “Control + Command + Space” to open emoji keyboard in Mac. You can search in the box and insert the symbol.
- On mobile phones, toggle the keyboard layout to emoji to find the divide emoji under “Symbols” section.
Shortcut Key For Excel Macbook Pro
Normally, ÷ is used in printing and mathematical equations. However, people use right slash symbol / in free handwriting. Here are some examples using different division signs.
- 6 / 3 = 2
- 24 ÷ 4 = 6
- 10 ➗5 = 2
Note: You can use equation editor in Word and Excel to type formal mathematical equations and formulae. However, use the keyboard shortcuts to type the symbol inside Excel cell or aligning with other text content in Word document.
Excel Alt Key On Mac
Division Sign Shortcuts Card
Excel 2016 Shortcuts Pdf
Below is a quick reference shortcut card that you can use for offline purpose.